Florida has a higher rate of injuries than the national average
Did you know that simply living in Florida puts you at a higher risk of many injuries? This is true of both accidental and violent injuries. According to the Florida Department of Health, Florida has 15.81 percent more unintentional injuries and 5.22 percent more violent injuries than the national average.
Before digging deeper into the data, it is vital to understand the definitions of unintentional and intentional injuries. Unintentional injuries include those that occur because of motor vehicle crashes, falls, drownings and recreational accidents. Violence-related injuries include those that occur because of assault, homicide, domestic violence and suicide.
Florida injury statistics
The percentages of injuries in Florida in comparison to the rest of the nation are striking. Some of the most notable findings include the following:
- Accidental injuries are the number one cause of death among Floridians between the ages of one and 44.
- The rate of motor vehicle accident injuries in Florida is 25.23 percent higher than the national rate.
- The rate of pedestrian injuries in Florida is 41.01 percent higher than the national rate.
- The rate of bicyclist injuries in Florida is 100 percent higher than the national rate.
- The rate of falls among Florida residents ages 65 and up is 6.69 percent higher than the national rate.
This information is startling proof that Florida desperately needs injury prevention plans in place.
Receiving compensation for injuries
If you suffer an injury due to the recklessness or negligence of another party, you may be able to pursue a personal injury lawsuit against that individual. The types of damages you can seek depend on the details of your situation, but they may include the following:
- Loss of current and potential earnings
- Medical costs, such as ambulance rides, emergency room visits and treatment
- Pain and suffering
- Punitive damages for the careless and bad behavior of the responsible party
It is unfortunate that injuries are so common in the Sunshine State. But, thankfully, there is a legal process in place to help you if someone injures you.
Much to my surprise not only did they win my lawsuit but I ended up getting 3 times the original amount I was expecting to get! I could not have been more pleased with the staff and the outcome.
If it wasn’t for your help, I know I wouldn’t have been able to win my case. I know that it was far away for you to come to Miami but your professionalism was outstanding. I will always recommend you.