Important safety tips for working in a roadway construction zone
New construction projects seem to pop up almost daily in Florida. As someone who works in construction, you may feel happy to have the work available so you can earn your pay. Of course, you also know that construction can mean working under grueling conditions and that you face serious safety risks whenever you are on the job.
In particular, if you work in roadway construction, you need to pay close attention to your surroundings. Even if you do your best to remain alert and expect drivers to slow down in construction zones, your years of experience have taught you that too many people do not heed the necessary precautions to keep roadway workers safe.
Because you cannot trust others to maintain your safety, you know the importance of taking care of yourself on a worksite. Still, it is always helpful to brush up on safety tips, which could include the following:
- Pay attention during team safety meetings. Hopefully, the site manager will start each day with a safety meeting that goes over the projects for the day and how to stay safe while handling the needed tasks.
- Always use personal protective equipment. This type of equipment could include hard hats, reflective and highly visible clothing, steel-toed boots, hearing protection, and more.
- Understand the safety program for the site. Because each construction site is different, the safety program needed can differ as well.
- Avoid blind spots and other visual hindrances while working. Using mirrors, backup alerts and visual assistance, whether through technology or co-workers, could help avoid a serious accident.
- Pay attention to the flow of traffic. Having workers specifically set up to control the flow of traffic is vital on roadway construction sites, but some drivers may not always pay attention when in these zones, meaning you should stay on guard.
Unfortunately, vehicle accidents on construction sites can result from drivers passing through or workers using equipment on site. If you find yourself injured in a work-related accident, you could face serious setbacks.
What can you do?
In the event that you do suffer injuries due to a vehicle-related accident on the job, you likely have reason to apply for workers’ compensation benefits. These benefits could help you make ends meet as you recover and provide funds to cover medical expenses stemming from the accident. Of course, applying for and obtaining benefits is not always easy, so you may want to consider having a legal advocate on your side during this time.
Much to my surprise not only did they win my lawsuit but I ended up getting 3 times the original amount I was expecting to get! I could not have been more pleased with the staff and the outcome.
If it wasn’t for your help, I know I wouldn’t have been able to win my case. I know that it was far away for you to come to Miami but your professionalism was outstanding. I will always recommend you.
You might say you were even just doing your job, however, I think it’s essential that you realize how fortunate I am to have such a trusted esteemed attorney in my corner, blessed really.